College is filled with many experiences. You gain memories that last forever and develop lifetime friendships. As a student-parent, you gain additional responsibilities that are just as important as school; and that is raising a child. As a student-parent at Michigan State University, there are many resources that are very helpful and will assist you in your journey to successfully completing your degree, as well as maintaining your household.A popular student-parent organization on campus is Spartan Parents On a Mission, or SPOM. SPOM was officially created August, 1994 by two student parents, LaRonda Brown-Chastang and Sharon Preston. SPOM gives student parents an opportunity to network with each other and find out about many resources available on campus and in surrounding communities. SPOM holds monthly workshops to teach parenting skills and self-health, as well as monthly family activities. SPOM also makes child care affordable with the Spartan Kids and MSU Child Care Grants. There are also opportunities to earn scholarships.
The website http://www.msu.edu/user/studentp/ links to information on how to become a part of SPOM, scholarship and grant opportunities, a schedule of events, and much more. For more information, contact Lori Strom, coordinator of the Family Resources Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (517) 432-3745. Below, you will find additional resources to assist you on your path to success. As a parent and student, you have resources to help you succeed. Never give up because you think it’s too hard.
Check out the MSU Resource Guide for MSU Students with Children for a complete list of resources available to you as student-parents.
CATA (Capital Area Transportation Authority)
- Discounted student fare $0.60 with student ID; free transfers
- 31-day passes for $18.00/ Semester passes for $50.00
- Available at most residence hall managers’ office, MSU Police Station, University Apartments Office, and MSU Union
- Campus Curb-Side Services (517) 432-8888
- Night Owl
- Lot Link
- CATA’s Spec-Tran
MSU Office of Financial Aid
252 Student Services Building, East Lansing, Michigan 48824
- Pell Grants
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
- MSU Childcare Grant
- MSU Spartan Advantage Grant
- Loans (Federally Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
- College Work-Study
- MSU Student Employment
- Department of Human Services
- Provides public assistance to families that includes, but is not limited to, food assistance, health insurance, cash benefits, and much more.
MSU Counseling Center
- 207 Student Services Building, East Lansing, Michigan 48824
- Provides free counseling to MSU students, standardized testing services to the MSU community and the general public, subsidized services, and much more.
By Brittany Powell
VM Lifestyle Writer